The training programme is designed to train the iTaukei and Rotuman to acquire the knowledge and skills to be able to undertake the National Trade Test Carpenter General Class III from Fiji National University. The primary aim after the course is the knowledge acquired will enable them to assist in their community development work or be employed as a Trade Assistant or Junior Tradesman in the Construction Industry.
Upon completion of the training programme the trainee should be able to demonstrate safety attitudes in use of hand tools, machines and materials, interpret simple technical drawings and assist carpenters in the construction of timber frame and reinforced concrete structures covered in the following units
|- Technical Drawing and Interpretation
- Safety at the workshop
- Reading and taking measurements
- Identification, care and use of hand tools
- The setting up and the use of power tools
- Timber – Types and properties, preparation and timber joints
- Timber famed construction – doors, door frames, windows and window frames.
|- Building construction – timber frame building, block work, reinforced concrete, reinforced steel, bending and fixing.
- House fitting and furniture’s – locks, hinges, nails, screws, bolts and nuts
- Roof – Types of roof, covering and method of fixing
- Ladders and Trestle